Social Icons

Pages

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Journey

The type of journey on my mind doesn't include hits such as "Don't Stop Believin' ", "Faithfully", or "Any Way You Want It". (though I'm am blasting those tunes currently while writing this....)

This train of thought stems from Chapter 4 in Lysa Terkeurst's book "What Happens When Women Say Yes to God". Part of my study through that chapter this week lead me to study Psalm 84. Go look it up if you haven't done so in a while. It's the Psalm that starts out with "How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord Almighty...."  I'm stuck on the verses that talk about God's provision as we travel life's journey. Here are those verses from the New Living Translation:

"What joy for those whose strength comes from the LORD, 
who have set their minds on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.
When they walk through the Valley of Weeping, 
it will become a place of refreshing springs.
The autumn rains will clothe it with blessings.
They continue to grow stronger, 
and each of them will appear before God in Jerusalem.
O LORD God of Heaven's Armies, hear my prayer. 
Listen of God of Jacob." (Psalm 84:5-8 NLT)

The psalmist is reassuring those on a journey. He is reminding them that their strength comes from the LORD (the Lord who commands "armies of angels"). When they walk through the Valley of Weeping (a time of inexplicable pain and suffering), God's benevolent care over his pilgrims will transform that valley into one of praise and renewal. Together, they will continue to grow stronger until each of the travelers reach their goal.

In the end of Chapter 4, Lysa Terkeurst describes herself as a woman on a journey. I long for this to be true of myself as well. She can write it better than me, so I'll share her words. :-)

"I am a woman on a journey of learning how to make sure my reactions don't deny Christ's presence in me. I am a woman who says yes to God not because my emotions and reactions are always perfect. No, I say yes to God because He is perfectly able to forgive me, love me, remind me, challenge me, and show me how to weather trials in ways that prove His Spirit resides in me. I remind myself often that people don't care to meet my Jesus until they meet the reality of Jesus in my life." ~ Lysa Terkeurst

I am a woman on a journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Sample text

Sample Text

Sample Text